Monday, May 02, 2005

A luckier pair of hawks

The same reader whose query I posted yesterday about why the hawks continue to sit sent in some information about a luckier pair of hawks [and hawkwatchers]. These are in San Francisco:

Marie,

I read Blakeman's piece on failed clutches after I emailed you. Call me silly, but I feel really sad for Palemale and Lola, not just us human fans. The image of Lola continuing to sit is really poignant. I so hope they are successful next year.
We've been luckier here in the SF Bay Area with George and Gracie, a pair of peregrine falcons. They're busy with 4 eyases who will be 3 weeks old come Tuesday. There's a webcam on their nest and the chicks put on quite a show when the parents come to feed. At first, when the chicks needed constant brooding, George won the hearts of all as a great dad (not at all unlike PM). When the chicks began to outgrow George's bulk, he went through many tricks to get them quieted down and tucked under. Finally, Mom and Dad gave up--- Mom brooded and Dad fed her! The affection expressed for these birds on the discussion board is really heartwarming (again, very much like the caring expressed for PM and Lola). As a birder, I'm really gratified to see the connection people will make with these wonderful creatures. Check out George and Gracie--the URL is http://www.scpbrg.org It'll do your heart good.
Thanks for answering my query--
Brenda

Postscript from Marie:
You can also see our local pair of peregrines on a webcam -- the ones at 55 Water Street. Here's a link:
http://www.55water.com/falcons/