Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Grackles from Bergdorf's

Photo: Cal Vornberger

Veronica Goodrich is one of the Trump-Parc hawkwatchers. She can actually see Pale Male Junior and Charlotte's nest from a window in her apartment. She also happens to be a Personal Shopper at Bergdorf Goodman, the department store at 59th St. and Fifth Avenue just across the street from the Pulitzer Fountain.

"This activity" she refers to in her report below, is the arrival of a large flock of Common Grackles in the pear trees that surround the fountain. These, as you may know from numerous earlier postings here, are the very grackles I've been monitoring since last October. They're the ones I thought had finally headed for their winter quarters down south...BUT...check out Veronica's report:

My observation of this activity takes place on the fourth floor of Bergdorf Goodman, in my dressing room. The times are usually around 4:30 to 4:45pm. That's usually when I have one of my last clients in for the day, trying on clothes.

First a few grackles swoop around the plaza and perch on the very top of the plaza fountain trees closest to to my store. Then about thirty follow this swooping and settle into the trees. All of a sudden hundreds turn the corner of the plaza, rolling and swooping , a perfect ballet of sorts, until the very last one rests on top of the plaza trees. This drama takes all of about 5 seconds total. There they perch for the eve and could be mistaken for the very last leaves of the season except for their loud chatter.

I always keep an eye out for this happening to share with the
fitters, husbands, clients and whoever else is in the room at the time. It happens every night...quite a show for my clients!!!