Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Pale Male and Lola's eggs retrieved

Photo in 2005 by Lincoln Karim
Many readers have been asking about what happened to the plan to retrieve the eggs from Pale Male and Lola's failed nest. Here's the story as I witnessed it this morning, and based on further information I received later:

At about 8:45 this morning Chris Nadareski of the DEC leaned over the roof of 927 Fifth Ave with a small net at the end of a very long wooden handle. He manipulated the instrument into the redtail nest and one by one successfully scooped up three intact eggs. They were to be taken this very day to Ward Stone, well known wildlife pathologist for the DEC whose lab is near Albany, New York. I was told that he would have a report on the eggs within a few days. I do know that some of the toxicology tests take a while, so I wouldn't hold my breath for news.

I'll post the results as soon as I know.