Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Is it the same bird? and a PS

On April 9th Jane Ross [http://rossbirds.blogspot.com] reported the first Boat-tailed Grackle ever to be documented in Central Park. I posted her report and photograph of the bird at the Harlem Meer on the next day. Yesterday 4/18/11, photographer Murray Head wrote:

I'm thinking this might be one...
He has the tail... and the attitude (last image)

At the reservoir - South East corner

Also atthe reservoir... about a dozen Ruddys, and the Common Loon,
who was too far off to get a decent photo of.



Three photos by Murray Head -- 4/18/11


PS This week on the New York Times website City Room I'll be answering questions about a pair of Red-tailed hawks now nesting on a window ledge at NYU. [They've been dubbed Violet and Bobby]. You can observe the incubating hawks via a live-stream webcam, and send in more questions. I'll try to answer as many as I can!