Wednesday, May 30, 2012

RIP Rik Davis


Some photos of Rik Davis [and a photo of two out of the thousands of people who over the years have availed themselves of his telescope to see the Fifth Avenue hawks]. These were taken over the last 5 years by Murray Head






Here's a eulogy about Rik written by Lincoln Karim and published on his PaleMale.com website:

Rik Davis was the first person that welcomed me to setup my telescope next to the dozen or so lined up along the Model Sailboat Pond back in April 2001. He ran over and handed me a flyer to join the AAA (Amateur Astronomers Association of New York).

He was a first class studio photographer and a brilliant amateur astronomer. I learned a great deal from him over the years. It was always a pleasure to sit with him and listen to the explanations to the vast amount of questions I continually put to him. He shared his knowledge with all that were interested to learn. I don’t think I ever saw him in a bad mood in the eleven years that I knew him. He was never prosperous because I believe he was more willing to give than to receive.

Rik’s long hours at the Model Sailboat Pond surpassed any other observer. He accumulated a mass of first hand information which he willingly shared with all of us. I picked up a great deal of photography tips from Rik but unfortunately I was hardly able to learn any of his amazing patience and tolerance for people.
The Model Sailboat Pond will never be the same without you my friend.

We miss you Rik. Rest in peace.