Wednesday, March 13, 2013

the BIRD ITSELF, in Central Park


Our North Woods correspondent Rebekah Creshkoff sent in a report this morning:

3/13/13 Elm buds on the Great Hill are red and bursting, Dark-eyed Juncos are trilling, and the earliest migrants are arriving. As evidence, attached is a photo of droppings marking the spot where an American Woodcock spent the day yesterday on the plaza of 270 Park Avenue.*

I saw the bird at about 6:45 pm last night and didn't dare attempt to rescue it (I was unequipped, and it generally goes very badly with woodcocks) and left, hoping he would make it out safely overnight. But this morning, I found one beautiful non-primary woodcock feather at the base of the building's glass curtain wall.

Rebekah
American Woodcock - March 15, 2005
photo by LLOYD SPITALNIK - http://www.lloydspitalnikphotos.com

* I'm posting a photo of the bird itself, not the droppings. I know you won't mind...