Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Another redtail question: Blakeman answers

A reader of this website sent in the following letter, dated June 13, 2005.

Marie,

I live in NW NJ near the Delaware Water Gap and over the past two springs have had a pair of mating red-tails in my backyard (although I’m not sure if this year’s pair is the same as last year’s, only a guess). However, after being away (not seen in other words), they have been seen & heard for the last 8 days darting between the trees in my backyard. They make loud screechy whistles and also short high pitched sounds as they fly around from branch to branch. I have also seen one of them catch prey (I think squirrel judging from the size).

My question is, is it possible that they have a nest around my yard? In late April I saw two hawks mating (again, I am assuming they are the same two that I see now) so I don’t think this is any mating ritual; wouldn’t it be too late in the season for mating? Thank you,

Peter Squire


John Blakeman replies:



Peter,

Marie Winn forwarded your inquiry to me. Here's my take on what you've described.

The nest is not necessarily in your backyard. It could be as far away as a half mile (but probably less). What you've described is almost surely the activities of a mated pair of red-tailed hawks, and some of the squawking may even be young red-tails just out on their own. Early nesters are just now getting young of the year on the wing.

But in wooded areas such as yours probably is, seeing the hawks is rather difficult. At this time of year they spend a lot of time perched, even hidden, in the foliage of trees. They are only well seen when perched on open hunting spots, or when soaring.

<>The birds you see this year are almost surely the same ones you saw last year. Red-tails, just like the birds in Central Park, are very faithful and consistent nesters in defined territories. They don't much wander around from year to year. Therefore, you can expect to see these birds again next year, too.

But yes, it's too late now for any serious breeding activities.

My best.

John A. Blakeman