Sunday, November 05, 2006

Benefactors named, and Feeder-filling season begins



Jack Meyer received the following e-mail from a British birdwatcher-- he's not sure how she found his e-mail address.:

Dear Sir,

I spent some time in the Park around Tuesday lunchtime at the Rambles – I was the British lady wearing a neck brace.

Some very kind birders spent some considerable time showing me many birds I had never seen before especially the Cape May warbler, the Coopers Hawk and the Wood Ducks to name but a few life time firsts for me having never done any bird watching in the US before.

If by any chance you know 2 of the gentleman concerned whose names were John and Brian would you please pass on my sincere thanks to them for sharing their time and knowledge, it was truly appreciated and was the highlight of my visit to New York.

With kind regards,

Jean Brown Guernsey Branch of the RSPB

Here's the answer, Jean:

The names of your benefactors were Brian Hart and John Beauchamp. Both of them had been at the opening of the Feeder-filling season at the Evodia Field that day.

The first picture above shows how the gallon-jugs containing seeds are attached to trees. The second is of 4 of our best Central Park birders. Brian Hart is third from the left. Lloyd Spitalnik, at left, is the Captain of the squad.