Wednesday, November 22, 2006

An exciting discovery by Central Park birdwatcher


The nest, under the airconditioner


The location
Photos by Rebekah Creshkoff


Rebekah Creshkoff is one of my oldest Central Park friends. No, no, I don't mean that she's old -- she's actually a young woman. I mean I've known her a long, long time, ever since I started coming to the park regularly. That was probably around 1990.

She's a great birder, and a very good observer of the world around her. I'm not surprised that she made this remarkable discovery. Here's her letter that arrived on November 19, 2006


Marie, I discovered a Monk Parakeet nest this morning. They are building beneath an air conditioner on the top floor of a 6-story building at the NW corner of 103rd and Amsterdam. Is this a Manhattan first?

At about 9:45 am this morning, I was biking up Amsterdam when I heard a parrot-like noise. It didn't sound anxious (as a cockatiel owner, I'm familiar with what anxious parrots sound like). I looked and quickly spotted a Monk Parakeet perched on the railing of a fire escape of the building described above.

After a few moments, it flew east, where a pedestrian mall leads into the grounds of the Frederick Douglass housing project, where there are a number of of mature London Planes. I lost track of the bird, then spotted it in the trees, lost track again... then a 2nd bird flew overhead, W to E, and also landed in the Planes. Then I saw one of the birds fly W with a long twig trailing from its beak. That's when I tracked it to the air conditioner.

I took several pictures using a digital zoom, but the attached (the best of the bunch) reflects some camera shake. Went back a half-hour ago equipped with a better camera plus good advice from Lenny, [Rebekah's husband -MW] but the birds weren't home.