Saturday, January 13, 2007

A slip of the nuthatch caught by a large Gotcha gang

Red-breasted nuthatch -- photo by Lloyd Spitalnik --
http://lloydspitalnikphotos.com

I'm redfaced, but also gratified. I d1d misidentify a White-breasted Nuthatch on Lincoln's website and call it a Red-breasted in my posting yesterday. That was pretty stupid and hence the red face. But, my! how many letters came in!

I'm gratified that so many good birdwatchers read my website! Though if I bother I can find out how many readers I have, I don't know much about them. Now I know more. An astute, discriminating bunch, that's what you are.

The nicest letter came from Joyce Eagles, who not only said something nice about my site, but tried to be merciful about the mistake. She wrote:

Dear Marie, I have spent many happy hours enjoying your web site. The photo by Lincoln posted today is not a Red-breasted Nuthatch. It is a female White-breasted Nuthatch. The usual reddish wash on the undercarriage seems more extensive than is usual. joyce eagles