Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Q & A with Blakeman about photo

2/11/07 [http://www.palemale.com]
Hi John,
Do I see 3 RTs in the pix on Lincoln's website today? If so, is this unusual -- I mean, that they should all be flying so closely together, w/ no apparent hostility or challenge? Or, is that PM at the top moving in the direction of the 3rd one to challenge him/her? And/or do you see something going on that I don't (most likely!)?
I assume the 2 on the right are PM + Lola -- but I wonder who the third one is? Can't tell whether a young one, or not.
I thought this a most interesting pix -- Love to hear your thoughts!
Thank you as always,
Mai Stewart
Mai,
I wouldn't make much of that single photo. Right now, at this time of the year, adjacent red-tail pairs and winter vagrants are frequently up in the air, testing and determining territory boundaries. Occasionally, as in Lincoln's photo, adjacent pairs will just fly around with each other for a bit. They are often rather vocal with each other. Each is testing its place, and these confrontational interludes are mere territorial dances that let all red-tail parties know everyone's place. Often, immatures participate in these winter flights. I can't tell from the photo the ages of the birds, but the resident immature may be one of the birds.
I doubt that any of these aggregations will be seen in March. By then, territories and hunting ranges will have been established by these quasi-social winter flights.
Actually, I was more taken with Lincoln's photo down upon the soaring adult. It's a view I never get. Just stunning. Regal birds, these, right in New York City
Today, this contrasts with the winter storm Ohio is getting right now, with a foot of blowing snow. Our wild red-tails have retreated to the center of the local woodlots, parked themselves on the downwind side of tree trunks, and have pulled up one of their legs into the belly feathers. They will stay there hunkered down, as much out of the weather as possible for a day or two, subsisting only on abundant fat reserves. Red-tails are programmed for such episodes, as cold and uncomfortable as they might be. I'm so glad to be ensconced here with my wife next to a nice warm, radiating wood stove.
--John A. Blakeman