Thursday, March 01, 2007

What do hawks and dogs have in common, at least in February and March?

Lola on Beresford-- Feb. 26, '07
Photo by Bruce Yolton http://www.urbanhawks.blogs.com


Jack Meyer reports:

Both 927 red-tails were sitting in the big tree at the top of the hill from Ramble to Boathouse, at 8:00 this morning. Shortly after, I was told that they had copulated there & then flew off.

Later in the AM I saw one hawk (from my angle couldn't tell which) flying from Ramble toward 927 with a stick in its beak. Made me wonder if hawks & dogs evolved from a common ancestor, as both like to carry sticks around.

No new spring singers, but more of the same ones are making it really sound more like spring.

No more Phoebe count-down, as it's getting too close, and I'll almost certainly be off a few days one way or the other.

Jack

PS from Marie
Phoebe countdown = how many days until the arrival of one of the earliest migrants, the Phoebe. I say 13.