Wednesday, February 27, 2008

One of our connections with Red-tailed Hawks?


Remember the Feb. 19th post here about Pale Male and the pine sprig? Regular correspondent Jan Lipert sends in a comment:

Now here's a thought I had the minute I read your & John's posting about the evergreen twig in Red-tail nests. . . Over the years I've noticed that carpenters and builders often place a leafy tree branch at the top of a newly constructed home. I haven't researched it, but I read somewhere that the practice goes back so far in the past that it's impossible to tell when it actually started. Interesting, though, don't you think?

Donna Browne [http://www.palemaleirregulars.com ] adds another thought about the pine sprig:

Marie,
In reference to the pine sprigs on Red-tail nests, I read a theory akin to John Blakeman's, that in those cases where more than one nesting site has been under consideration, that the pine sprigs are placed on the nest that has been decided upon for that season. The sprig is cast. It's time for the serious business of raising a family.
Best,
Donna