Friday, February 18, 2011

Leucism at the Cathedral


Occasional correspondent Robert B. Schmunk wrote on 2/17/11:

Marie, Readers of your blog still working out the difference between albinism and leucism in birds might want to venture up to the grounds of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. One of the three peacocks who roam the close on the south side of the cathedral is leucistic, a condition which is apparently relatively common in peafowl. This particular bird is also a bit of a show off and can sometimes be found displaying and cadging treats from tourists near the Peace Fountain. Attached is a photo I took of him in 2009.
 rbs

I wrote back with a question:

Thanks Robert. One question: Why does the bird look so enormous - bigger than the yellow-flowering bush, for instance? Just the camera perspective?


Marie,

I expect it's just the perspective. I was probably crouching a bit
when I took this and he's perched on an ivy-covered fence that's
3 or 4 feet high.

rbs