Saturday, February 12, 2011

CORRECTION to previous post about owls


Please note that the directions for locating the 4 Long-eared Owls noted in the previous post were INCORRECT, due entirely to my error. The owls were in a stand of pines on CHERRY HILL, not in that hilly knoll between the Boathouse and Bethesda Fountain. They might be there again today.

I spent a lot of time searching for them in the wrong place. Then Deb Allan came along and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks Deb. I hope no one else went astray because of my faulty directions.

I finally saw the the owls myself at around 3:15 pm today [2/12/11], By then they were no longer all in one tree as they had been in MURRAY HEAD's photos taken earlier in the day. Only one was in the original pine. A second was in a beech tree nearby. The other two were nowhere to be seen. Apparently they had been harrassed by a couple of rowdy squirrels, causing them to disperse.