Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A feathered thing without hope

Ardith Bondi, flutist, bird watcher and photographer, sent in the picture below and the exciting story it documents. It happened yesterday, 9/10/12.

I had barely put my camera together around 2 PM and was standing in the rocky area northwest of Azalea Pond hoping for something to photograph. I have to admit, though, that I wasn't expecting to be almost knocked down by a subject that flew at me like a missile. It was carrying something, just turned enough to avoid colliding with me, and landed hard in the leaves about 15 feet from me. I aimed and fired in the hope that at least one shot would confirm what had just missed me.

It appears that a juvenile Sharpie got hungry and came down for lunch. Not sure what its lunch is, although it clearly has feathers.