Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Back to the Mystery Cricket

On July 5th I posted a photo of a tiny insect that had appeared on the low metal fence surrounding the Great Lawn the night before. Since we were there to look at stars that night I described it as a "stargazing cricket."

I received two e-mails shortly thereafter suggesting that it was a katydid, not a cricket.

I stuck to my guns. Wrong.

Yesterday, when I checked with Nick Wagerik, our entomology guru, who had in turn checked it out in the great new resource --Field Guide to Grasshoppers, Katydids and Crickets by Capinera, Scott & Walker,
he came up with a good candidate for our critter: the Drumming Katydid.

Number 1, below is a picture of this species from an internet website, [and some additional info from that site] It is followed by#2, the picture Lincoln Karim took at the Great Lawn on 7/4/05. [Don't forget that the "Mystery cricket" photo was taken at night. That would explain the color difference. In reality, away from a flashbulb, it looked quite green.]

1.

2


At Words by William Whitaker, "thalassinum" translates to "sea-green".