Saturday, March 27, 2010

Coyote updates


Central Park Coyote -- one of the first photos--sent in by Veryl Witmer
The Pond, February 2, 2010


Yesterday I posted a photo of the coyote in the snow and attributed it to the wrong photographer. In fact it was one of the very first photos anyone took of the Central Park coyote, sent to me by a reader of this website, Veryl Witmer. Here's the letter he wrote accompanying the photos:

Dear Marie:

My name is Veryl Witmer. I am an amateur photographer and often take my camera into the Park to photograph the wild creatures that reside in or visit our park. I visit your web site frequently to see what is in the park - I enjoy it very much - thank you!

Yesterday, I was walking by The Pond and I saw the coyote in the Park that you posted about today. It was hiding out in the Hallett Nature Sanctuary. During the 2 hours that I was there it ventured out onto the frozen pond at least 3 times, always returning to the Sanctuary. It seemed skittish and timid, but at times playful - jumping on the ice.

I returned today hoping for pictures with the snowcover as background, but I didn't see it.

Veryl Witmer

Sorry, Veryl. And thanks again for sending in your great photos.

Here's a link to yesterday's NY Times story of the coyote capture-- from the CityRoom Blog:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/tribeca-coyote-captured-2/


And here's a link to the latest story, from a local on-line website:

http://bronxink.org/2010/03/26/5992-tribeca-coyote-will-be-taken-to-an-undisclosed-location/